More than 2,000 Britons have been evacuated from the US after a man with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound and a backpack full of explosives went on a rampage at a house party.
A bomb squad found a suicide vest, knives and an AK-47 assault rifle at the home in south-west Birmingham, where the man had lived with his family since July.
He also had a hand grenade, an IED, a rocket launcher and a Kalashnikov assault rifle, according to local media.
The police were called to the scene, which is a suburb of Birmingham, at around 10:00pm local time.
Officers found the suspect armed with an assault rifle and a knife, with ammunition inside a backpack.
“The man has been shot in the chest, the leg, the arm, and there is evidence that he may have also sustained head injuries,” Birmingham Police Assistant Commissioner Steve Williams told reporters.
The suspect has not yet been charged, but he is being taken to a hospital.
The British Red Cross said on Twitter that people who are in need should contact their local Red Cross branch.
“We’re very concerned by the incident and will be monitoring this situation closely,” the charity said.
BBC News says it has contacted the police in the area and the US authorities and is awaiting more information.
The Home Office has not responded to a request for comment.
BBC Radio 5 live reports that police in London said the man was armed and wanted to take hostages and they were not responding to calls for help.
A man who identified himself as the man’s cousin, said: “They have an AK47.
They are going to kill him.”
Birmingham’s Deputy Mayor Mark Robinson said the incident took place on a quiet street in the city centre, but police did not have any information on the man or what happened to him.
“I’m sure that our police will be out there trying to find this guy, but at the moment they’re not answering any of the calls for information that are coming in.” “
There’s a very serious situation in Birmingham right now,” he said.
“I’m sure that our police will be out there trying to find this guy, but at the moment they’re not answering any of the calls for information that are coming in.”
Local media reports said police were looking for two men in their 20s, one aged between 20 and 40, the other aged between 18 and 20.
It is unclear if they are related.
BBC World Service reporter Laura Williams in London says a man was shot in Birmingham.
“Two people are now in custody,” she said.
Birmingham Police Chief Constable Mark Rowley said officers had been called to a house on the outskirts of the city shortly before midnight local time (17:00 GMT).
“We are dealing with a domestic situation, and at this stage I am not able to confirm the exact location or circumstances,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.
Birmingham Mayor Andy Burnham tweeted: “Police are in a house at the corner of Woodford and King Street, but no one there is injured.”
Birmingham is home to more than 100,000 people and has seen an increase in car bombs and shootings since the start of the year.
Birmingham’s police chief said on Tuesday that he believed the attacker was in his early 20s and had been living at a home on King Street in the capital.
“At this stage, I’m not aware of any links between this individual and the terrorist incident in Manchester last week,” Birmingham Chief Constable Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe said.
He said the investigation into the incident was continuing.
“It’s too early to say whether there are links to other incidents,” Mr Burnham said.
The BBC’s Amber Rook reports from Birmingham.